Sunday, August 26, 2012

Recover Sling Back Chairs!!



I recovered sling back chairs that were given to me!! EASY!!

I got "Phifertex Plus Vinyl Mesh" fabric from sail rite.com
     about 16.00 a yard (less if you wait on coupon!!) With a 1 1/2 yards, you can do 2 chairs. Each chair used 1 can of 5.00 spray paint. With my coupon, I did each chair for around $12.00!!

I measured my chairs first - 50.75 long, 20.25 wide (top & bottom width)
added 1.75 inches to each side and 1 inch to top & bottom. Bringing total to
24.25 wide
52.75 long

I took out all bolts with ratchet. once all bolts were removed, I cut fabric in half to relieve tension bar that was holding fabric. I pulled fabric from slots with pliers, and took out rope cord that was in old chair.

I sewed 1 inch hem on top and bottom of fabric first.
I then sewed sides leaving a small pocket to insert cording.
I doubled hemmed all for re-inforcement!

After wiping old frames with damp cloth, I spray painted them. I took fishing line and tied them to a tree to paint and dry!

Next, I slid cord into new fabric pocket. Put vaseline on fabric and inside track of poles and worked fabric back into tracks. I then assembled chair with original bolts. My husband put tension bar in and it popped fabric tight!!









5 comments:

  1. Thank you!!!! I'm trying to do this now and have never done it. These were good directions and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This was so helpful! I was afraid to tackle this because I was afraid my sewing maching wouldn't be sturdy enough to sew this heavy fabric, but I'm going to try it. jeffandtammymac@aol.com
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. The measurement from side to side and groove to groove (width) was 20.25 inches on the frame of the chair. On the new sling fabric replacement what was the finished hemmed fabric width before you inserted it into the frame? Was it 20.25 inches or did you add a little to allow fabric to go into the groove?
    Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am starting the project..and found it difficult to pull the old material out. But, remembering your idea about Vaseline on the track, I used dish detergent to "grease" the track. The material did run through the track much easier after that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I painted mine with Rit dye from.brown to light green. One bottle did 6 chairs. Cheaper alternative, less work.

    ReplyDelete